CSURamFan holds on for dear life to win the season championship; RamSack & Gamblinram round out the top 3; Camlover wins the individual week
Week 14– The final week of the RamNation Pigskin Pick’em Contest, sponsored by Rams Book Store, turned out to be a doozie. CSURamFan, who entered Week 14 with a four-game lead, barely held on for the season title. He won just 5 games this week, which was tied for his other low score of the year way back in Week 5. He hadn’t had a score under 8 since Week 6 and had had a tight grip on first place for the past month. However, the poor score this week left the door open for other contestants and RamSack nearly seized the opportunity. Amazingly, the contest came down to the last game of the season. CSURamFan picked Hawaii +11 vs. Fresno State in the late-night game and RamSack had Fresno State. Fresno State went into the 4th quarter leading 28-0, making RamSack appear like he’d steal the championship. However, the Bulldogs gave up 3 straight TDs to give Hawaii the backdoor cover. So, CSURamFan won the title by one game.
He finishes with a Contest Total (throwing out each contestant’s worst two weeks) of 111 wins. He also owned the most wins in the “Season Total” (gross total) at 121, as well as the best winning percentage at 57.6%. That winning percentage ties for sixth best among contest champs and ties for 12th best winning percentage overall in the 14-year history of the contest. Prior to his near-disastrous Week 14, CSURamFan owned a winning percentage of 59.5%, which would have ranked fourth all time, behind only ranks montanaram’s 61.9% and BoomBoomRam’s 60% in 2010 and Ram-a-lackin!’s 60% in 2011.
For his efforts, CSURamFan wins a $100 store credit to Rams Book Store. (All of our winners should please contact us to arrange collecting your prize.)
Despite RamSack’s heart-wrenching close call this weekend, he still posted 110 Contest Wins (120 Season Wins) and a 57.1% winning percentage. He earns the $50 store credit to Rams Book Store. Gamblinram tied for third with bigAl and SlamBamRam3 at 106 Contest Wins, but gamblinram wins via the tiebreaker of best winning percentage. Thus, he earns the $25 store credit to Rams Book Store.
So the top 10 looked like this:
- RB Fan
For full final standings, visit the GAME-BY-GAME RESULTS/STANDINGS link.
As for the individual week, Camlover won this week as the only contestant with 11 wins, which capped a very good season with a 54.3 winning percentage and an eighth-place finish. Thus, he earns the weekly store credit prize to Rams Book Store. (Again, please contact us to arrange collecting your prize.) On the opposite end of the spectrum this week were joeybtherealad, Big Horned Sheep, and Topekaram, who tied for the Toilet Bowl with just four correct picks.
The field didn’t exactly finish strong with a 48.9% winning percentage — the third sub-.500 week in a row — but still cracked the .500 mark for the season at 50.16%. The mark qualifies as only the fifth time we’ve done so in 14 years.
So, overall, it was a fun, successful year! And the fun continues soon as we’ll launch the Bowl Pick’Em in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone for playing, and please join me in thanking Rams Book Store for their 14th year of sponsorship to this contest. When you’re in need of CSU memorabilia, gear, or school books, Rams Book Store should be your first choice! –Joel Cantalamessa <br>(Good SHEPHERD)
Each weekly winner gets a prize from Rams Book Store. Season winners win gift certificates to Rams Book Store. Prizes: Each weekly winner will receive a store credit to Rams Book Store. The top three finishers will receive gift Grand Prize gift certificates to Rams Book Store. Rules:
- Each week contestants will pick a winner in 15 games.
- Contestant’s should make their picks “against the spread”. For instance, if Tennessee is favored by 6.5 vs. Utah State, and Tennessee wins by more than 6.5 points, they win “against the spread.” If Tennessee does not win by more than 6.5 points, then Utah State wins “against the spread,” even though they might lose the game.
- The weekly winner will be the contestant with the most correct picks.
- In the event of a tie between contestants at the end of a week, the first tiebreaker is the total points scored in the “tiebreaker” game (usually a game involving CSU). The contestant that picks closest to the total points scored wins the tiebreaker. If total points does not break the tie, then total yards will be used. Again, closest guess to the total yards gained from scrimmage by both teams during that game will win the tiebreaker. If a tie is still unbroken, both contestants will receive a prize
- Please have picks in each Friday by 4 p.m. MST, with the exception of Thanksgiving week, when picks will be due by Wednesday afternoon. We will send out a reminder that week.
- Please submit only one entry form per contestant.
- The system is set up so that if you want to change your picks before the weekly deadline, you simply have to to resumbit your entry, and it will overwrite the existing entry.
Season Contest: In addition to each weekly contest, there is a contest for the entire 14-week season in which totals will be kept over the course of the season. The season winners will be the contestant’s with the most correct picks throughout the season, while dropping your worst two weekly win totals. If you miss a week or have a bad week, you can drop that week against your season total. This allows for contestants who may miss the first week, or who may miss a week during the season for whatever reason to remain in contention for the title. If there is a tie between contestants at the season, the highest win percentage for all weeks will be the first tiebreaker. (A contestant must have participated in 11 or more weeks to be eligible.) If the tie is not broken by win percentage, then there will be a final playoff during the Conference Championship weekend, between contestants who are tied. Guidelines and other notes: The contest administrator (Q.Ram) will determine the weekly games on the following basis:
- All games involving MWC teams.
- All games involving two teams rated in the Top 25 AP Poll or receiving votes.
- At least one game involving each of the eight biggest conferences.
- Any other games of note (rivalry games or games involving Top 10 teams).
Please note that CSU games will not be included because the contest administrator (Q.Ram) is highly superstitious and doesn’t believe in betting on games in which he is emotionally involved. (Most of us are CSU fans, and we would all pick CSU to win every week anyway, so that game would be a wash.) CSU games will, however, be used for the Tiebreaker game, unless they are on a Thursday night. Results will typically be posted the following Monday. Please track your picks and make sure you are credited with the right amount of wins. Q.Ram has been known on a very, very rare occurrence to make a mistake, and we will correct errors up until the following week has been played. Q.Ram will make his picks known on the message board prior to deadline, so that everyone will know the contest administrator is not rigging the game to win all of the prizes. Remember, if you are in the market for text books and CSU gear, Rams Book Store should be your first choice. Their sponsorship is what helps make RamNation go. All registered posters are welcome to join the contest, but remember all you Ram foes out there…the prizes are limited to what Rams Book Store has in stock, which is primarily CSU-related gear! Thanks and best of luck to everyone (except Buffaloes, Cowboys, and Falcons). –Q.Ram, Good SHEP, and CSURamFan